PDA

View Full Version : Who Is The Best Rapper Alive???

PIMP_DADDY
10-07-2011, 08:59 PM
Who is the best rapper alive? There is a lot of debate over who the best is right now. Vibe magazine tried to settle debate with a NCAA style bracket tournament and in the end Eminem defeated Jay-Z in the championship. While this article is not designed to settle the endless debate, but rather to give reasons why my list is constructed the way it is.

Before I start listing the best rappers alive in my opinion, I want to give honorable mention to a few MC's who didn't quite make the cut, but are still quite good in my opinion.

- T.I.
- The Game
- Lupe Fiasco
- Andre 3000

- Ludacris

Ok let's start with the man who self declared himself as the best rapper alive in Lil Wayne. His last album, Tha Carter III, went platinum in it's first week, and multi-platinum overall. He has hit the mix-tape circuit hard and is seemingly on every major hip-hop album in some capacity. However he is not the best rapper alive. In fact, I don't even have him in my top 5 (he's like bottom of my top 10 list). While he is much better now than he was back in the "Block is Hot" days, but I feel that his material lately is a step down from tha Carter II. Lyrically, he is far from the top as there is a decent list of rappers who are better (ex: Eminem, Nas, Jay-Z, T.I. Lupe). His metaphors can be clever at times, but other times they are either plain stupid or aren't clever. He also has a bad habit of rhyming the same words (which isn't rhyming). His flow is above average, but far from the best. Finally, the subject material he raps about is rarely anything that I haven't heard before. He seems content to rely on his name and marketing rather than make cutting edge material. In my opinion he is not the best rapper alive, but rather a decent at best MC who is the most overrated alive.

The next rapper I'm going to address is a favorite of many underground listeners: Immortal Technique. Immortal Technique is one of the most politically conscious rappers I have ever heard and his rhymes are very intelligent. He is definitely true to himself. I don't see him ever being a sell out. However, I do not find him as the best rapper alive either. While his subject material is often very deep, he many times comes across as an extremist and it feels like he is oftentimes shoving his beliefs down your throat. While his flow works the first couple listens, it often gets boring because he rarely switches it up. Also, many people often confuse having a large vocabulary with lyrical prowess. While Technique uses intelligent words, he doesn't have the lyrical prowess of a Nas or Eminem, who constantly use brilliant rhyme structures and word play. I value versatility, and that is one quality that Technique often lacks.

Jay-Z is an MC that has been around since 1997 and is often mentioned as one of the all-time greats. Reasonable Doubt is one of the greatest hip-hop albums of all time and he has at least two more classics. His lyrics are among the best (even more impressive is that he never writes his rhymes down). He has many different flows to match the beat and subject matter. He rhymes about real things a lot more than the typical rapper. Also, he is oftentimes the MC that younger rappers look at as a model to follow. However he is not the best rapper alive. The fact that he's not getting the title is not necessarily a knock against Jay, but it is rather that the last two rappers mentioned are that great.

The second best rapper alive right now is Nas. In my opinion he is the greatest lyricist to ever step foot on this planet. More often than any other rapper as I've ever listened to, he makes me stop and just wonder how he thought of a particular rhyme. His debut album is one of the best of all-time. He has a very underrated flow and is one of the more conscious rappers out there. A big reason why I have him over Jay-Z is because he got the better of Jay-Z when they beefed head-to-head earlier in the decade. His song, Ether, was just different level than Jay-Z's impressive, but inferior The Takeover. Even Jay will admit that Nas got the better of him. His last album, Untitled, was very impressive and proved that he is still among the best in the industry. While I think that he deserves to be in the running for one of the greatest ever, I believe that there is one rapper who is better right now. While he is still making great records, he is a couple steps down from during his Illamatic days.

The best rapper alive is, as you probably figured out by now, is in fact the man who won the title in Vibe's contest: Eminem. I think he is the second best lyricist, just a few hairs below Nas. His flow is outstanding and he has just about as many flows as any rapper out there. His sophomore album, The Marshall Mathers LP, rivals albums like Illamatic and Reasonable doubt as the best ever. The thing that puts Eminem over the top of Nas is the fact that is hands down the most creative and versatile rapper alive. He can tell heart-wrenching stories, he can make songs that make even the most stoic listener laugh, he can make intelligent songs, diss songs, and songs that just absolutely make you wonder how he thought of it (Stan, 3 A.M.). He is also very capable of freestyling, making inspirational songs, and is generally the best MC in any collaboration regardless of whom the rapper is (Renegade for example). Even after a nearly 5 year hiatus, his last album, Relapse, proves that he is still on top and that he really hasn't fallen off that much. Regardless of mainstream appeal and the color of his skin, he is the best rapper alive right now and deserves to be in the conversation as the best ever.

The thing that really excites me about Eminem is that between him and the other legends of hip-hop, he has the most potential in my opinion to add to his legacy with Relapse 2. While Untitled was very good and I'm sure Blueprint 3 will be dope, Relapse 2 is the only one that has the potential to be a classic. Untitled simply solidified my respect for Nas and from what I've heard from Jay-Z over the past couple years; I think Blueprint 3 will do the same. The reason that I think Relapse 2 has so much potential is because Relapse, though dope, sounded to me like a warm-up. The album, outside of the odd placement of Crack a Bottle, started to shift away from all the Slim Shady-like material and more towards Marshall Mathers centered material. The way I see it, Relapse simply put Eminem's foot in the door and Relapse 2 is going to kick it down.

gangsta9
10-07-2011, 09:31 PM
snoop dogg is a gangsta rapper and is the best

KingChris
10-07-2011, 10:44 PM
Hahaha you faggot ass 90's babys

middle
10-07-2011, 11:06 PM
oh yea on the carter 4 outro nas killed it i heard of him before but never heard him rapping and when he said those lyrics im nasty like a fart from a fat man intestine and i pass it to u in a gasp of a breath and make u wanna die fast i was like oh shit and thats my friends made me wanna hear more music from him

-iso

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 12:26 AM
Lil wayne is fake as fuck first when he started raping he was a crip now he is blood WTF make up your dam mind :P

Billthebastard
10-08-2011, 01:00 AM
Rap appears to appeal to two main groups...

Black people that are angry.

White people that wish they were black and angry.

I am just white and angry, angry that I have to watch you pig ignorant cunts deliberately murder the English language and insist on everyone seeing your skinny arseholes hanging out of your ill fitting jeans.

Just in case you are in any doubt, you make me sick!

HitG420
10-08-2011, 01:20 AM
bill the bastard is right lol none of yall got shit to say

PhuckYouPhaggots
10-08-2011, 01:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s4Wasv0EOu4

I thought dude's reaction to the Vibe bracket was hilarious.

Joe Budden, Blu, KanYe and Kendrick Lamar deserve slots on this list as well, all of them know how to paint a vivid picture and make the listener connect with the material while remaining true to the craft of lyricism. If you haven't, I highly recommend taking a listen to 'Mood Muzik 2' by Joe Budden, 'Below The Heavens' by Blu, 'My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy' by KanYe, 'Section 80' by Kendrick Lamar. So much classic material, it's all pure genius.

Immortal Technique is average at best, and the conspiracy theories get droll after hearing them over and over again. That being said, 'Revolutionary Vol. 2' was in heavy rotation in my CD player throughout high school, and 'You Never Know' still makes me feel shit deep in my heart. He's far from G.O.A.T. status though. We'll see what happens with 'Revolutionary Vol. 3' if he ever releases it.

Jay and Nas are incomparable, imo. They rap about completely different subject matter with completely different approaches. The only common denominator is they're both from NY. Nas was ill from Illmatic to God's Son, after that, his albums got too boring for my personal tastes, but I will admit that when he comes correct these days, the motherfucker still has that classic potential. Jay's always been hit or miss to me, but there's no denying his staying power in the game, and while he may be overrated as fuck, a fair share of praise for him is warranted.

Eminem...As much as I hate to say it, I think I've grown out of that stage in life. He's still great at what he does, it just lacks the same punch that it used to. Both Recovery and Bad Meets Evil showcased solid technical lyricism, but I doubt that we'll ever get another Marshall Mathers LP or The Eminem Show out of him.

As far as Lil Wayne is concerned, the dude's been in the game since God knows when. That being said, he's had like 5 hot bars in his lengthy career. Most of the shit that comes out of his mouth are the purely retarded ramblings of someone with Downs Syndrome.

T.I. was good until Paper Trails. The Game's always been a personal favorite of mine, dude usually always comes correct and is one of the few gangsta rappers left that can kill it (aside from Jeezy). Lupe Fiasco, I feel, needs to get over himself sometimes, but he's good. Andre 3K is definitely a contender for G.O.A.T. Ludacris has been consistently good throughout his career, with the exception of 'Battle Of The Sexes'.

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 01:23 AM
Your name fits you well :)

jackey
10-08-2011, 01:52 AM
Do
Right
And
Kill
Everything

Enough Proclaimed

KingChris
10-08-2011, 02:08 AM
oh yea on the carter 4 outro nas killed it i heard of him before but never heard him rapping and when he said those lyrics im nasty like a fart from a fat man intestine and i pass it to u in a gasp of a breath and make u wanna die fast i was like oh shit and thats my friends made me wanna hear more music from him

-iso

Is this little whiteboy serious? You never heard Nas rap till the Carter 4? Get the fuck outta here you goddamn faggot.

Do
Right
And
Kill
Everything

Enough Proclaimed

Drake? Bitch are you serious? Lmfao that was funny as fuck.

PhuckYouPhaggots
10-08-2011, 02:55 AM
Is this little whiteboy serious? You never heard Nas rap till the Carter 4? Get the fuck outta here you goddamn faggot.

Drake? Bitch are you serious? Lmfao that was funny as fuck.

It's the new generation of fans that haven't yet heard what real music sounds like lol

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 03:08 AM
LMFAO !!! Drake is a faggot Canadian / jewish rapper !!!!! Fuck Drake !! Next thing you no some assholes gonna post justin beiber!

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 03:09 AM
100% Backing kingchris on this one :)

KingChris
10-08-2011, 04:03 AM
It's the new generation of fans that haven't yet heard what real music sounds like lol

Hell yea

LMFAO !!! Drake is a faggot Canadian / jewish rapper !!!!! Fuck Drake !! Next thing you no some assholes gonna post justin beiber!

I know right

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 04:38 AM

Agreed they have no taste in music !!

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 04:38 AM
Old school music for ever !!!

M.T.G
10-08-2011, 04:39 AM
Eazy e and 2pac

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 04:53 AM
Yea they are good but this is best rappers alive if they where still alive hands down them :)

Danzig
10-08-2011, 07:24 AM
The black guy...shit I forget his name. You know the one

PIMP_DADDY
10-08-2011, 08:15 AM
LMFAO!!!! Agreed

middle
10-08-2011, 10:18 PM
like i said u fuckin bitch when i heard him on the carter 4 i started listening to more music on him bitch

MrWorker
10-08-2011, 11:02 PM

I am just white and angry, angry that I have to watch you pig ignorant cunts deliberately murder the English language and insist on everyone seeing your skinny arseholes hanging out of your ill fitting jeans.

Bill maybe a proud bastard. But he's got this spot on.

Danzig
10-09-2011, 12:23 AM
Bill and MrWorker might be my new heros.lol cheers to both

middle
10-09-2011, 12:35 AM
bill is racist lol jk

Danzig
10-09-2011, 12:37 AM
No he's not...he told me he had a colored tv

BFLY
10-09-2011, 01:02 AM
The best right now in mainstream it has to be Kanye West. Some of you may dissagree but I dont give a fuck.Lyrically he kills it everytime. Best underground rapper thats alive right now I have to say Bullys wit fullys (Guce and KillaTay) or Messy Marv.

PIMP_DADDY
10-09-2011, 02:27 AM
no he's not...he told me he had a colored tv

lmfao!!!!!lmfao!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

cHOPPER
10-09-2011, 03:39 AM
Anything But The NASty is Stupid

PIMP_DADDY
10-09-2011, 07:21 AM
Anything But The NASty is Stupid

Shut the hell up NOOB !!!!!

PhuckYouPhaggots
10-09-2011, 06:05 PM
The best right now in mainstream it has to be Kanye West. Some of you may dissagree but I dont give a fuck.Lyrically he kills it everytime. Best underground rapper thats alive right now I have to say Bullys wit fullys (Guce and KillaTay) or Messy Marv.

KanYe is a fucking beastly genius, for sure. KanYe production >>>>>>>>>>>> Dr. Dre production. It's unfair to the rest of the mainstream rappers cuz he just shits on everything.

PIMP_DADDY
10-09-2011, 08:18 PM
Kanye west is a bully that picks on girl country singers aka taylor swifft i liked his music up intill then cause if i was there i would have went up there a made him my bitch on stage with that 40oz he had in his hand :)

MrWorker
10-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Ive done a rap n shit to it in with ma ghetto homies.

Its called WIggas in the ghetoo n sheeeeett ) trying to survive.

Here we go lets it this sheet up n sheeet WOOOOWWW YoOOWW Iam in the gehttto n sheeet trying t survive got ma wiggas by ma side n shet one day in the night i lost my hair when a astoroid smash it off n shit now i hang out with ma homies wiggas at the hospital n shit and we wear wigs n sheeeeeett WWOOOOWWW SHIT now i dropped some wigg in ma chicken soup now its called wigga soup n shit then we go out a smash up thewigga southside crew north side smash the wigggas n the south ''southern shitter wiggas''.

YOOOW thats ma rap an respect ma wiggas. It aint easy been a wigga from the hood. Respct ma bald wiggas ///// IIIEEEYYYYYEEE !!!

respectaaa PAAA !

~ credits ~
(PS iam not a wigga) i shave my head because im a man and dont give a shit about hair, hair is for people who pack fudge and women )

middle
10-09-2011, 11:06 PM
i like some kanye west songs but my est rapper is zro,trae bboth are underground , and eminem i like white ppl

Danzig
10-09-2011, 11:37 PM
There are no good rappers alive. The only good ones are dead ones. This is not a racist comment, I just want to be able to conduct a buisness call while on the road without my customer hearing someone got fucked and shot with a nine.lol

BFLY
10-09-2011, 11:46 PM
There are no good rappers alive. The only good ones are dead ones. This is not a racist comment, I just want to be able to conduct a buisness call while on the road without my customer hearing someone got fucked and shot with a nine.lol

I dont see what you being able to conduct a business call while on the road has to do with rap. If you dont like it then why even bother to have it playing in your car.

Not all rappers talk about getting fucked, or getting shot with a nine. I know you may find this hard to believe but there are actually rappers out there that talk about other things.

MrWorker
10-09-2011, 11:49 PM
You di-we-pect WA WIGGAS ?

Billthebastard
10-09-2011, 11:58 PM
I was tempted to say that I had one but it never worked... Oh shit, I just done it

No he's not...he told me he had a colored tv

The_Black_Cat
10-10-2011, 11:14 AM
hahahaha are there even good rappers still alive then?

The_Black_Cat
10-10-2011, 11:18 AM
Not all rappers talk about getting fucked, or getting shot with a nine. I know you may find this hard to believe but there are actually rappers out there that talk about other things.

will smith right? ;)

The_Black_Cat
10-10-2011, 11:21 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6TtLSYbFGUQ

must be the best....hahahahahaha

The_Black_Cat
10-10-2011, 11:26 AM
for those who are easily offended here's one to even it out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=afGRza6bFYw

The_Black_Cat
10-10-2011, 11:27 AM
btw i like fast raps....so would also like to see twista and tech n9ne and busta rhymes mentioned :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH_Uz1O898w

MrWorker
10-10-2011, 02:30 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KFaTtPMZH8g&feature=related

Chubby brown - legend.

Haggs
10-10-2011, 04:36 PM
I won't bother teaching you all about real rap. It's all down to preference anyway.

BlackCat
10-10-2011, 06:17 PM
Can I just ask "His metaphors can be clever at times, but other times they are either plain stupid or aren't clever." What's the difference between stupid and not clever?

If this has been addressed my apologies, obviously I've not read the whole thread.

PhuckYouPhaggots
10-10-2011, 06:56 PM
Can I just ask "His metaphors can be clever at times, but other times they are either plain stupid or aren't clever." What's the difference between stupid and not clever?

If this has been addressed my apologies, obviously I've not read the whole thread.

I think he meant simplistic and/or played-out with his comment.

BFLY
10-10-2011, 07:17 PM
will smith right? ;)

I guess you can say him but I was thinking of other ones.

MrWorker
10-10-2011, 08:36 PM
You wish you could do my shit haggs.

The_Black_Cat
10-11-2011, 11:07 AM

someone beat me to it....well said

NuTz
10-11-2011, 11:44 AM
Vanilla ice how is he not mentioned here ? ;)

The_Black_Cat
10-11-2011, 11:53 AM
you need to act as if you were shot....no limp means no "real" rapper ;)

so i guess vanille ice is not fake enough to be one LOL

middle
10-12-2011, 01:58 AM
the best rapper alive is eminem so fuck u all

PhuckYouPhaggots
10-12-2011, 02:30 PM
the best rapper alive is eminem so fuck u all

Eminem WAS the best rapper alive until he stopped concentrating on originality and just started rapping faster i.e. Hell: The Sequel

PIMP_DADDY
10-12-2011, 11:56 PM
What are you talking about V lmfao vanilla ice has been stambed in the butt that counts as much as geting shot :P Even tho it was a papper cut :D Ever heard that song by vanilla ice lmfaoooo !!!

middle
10-15-2011, 12:46 AM
in my book it is him and wayne

H8TER__JR
10-15-2011, 01:09 AM
mr criminal and lil cuete

sketchy
10-15-2011, 03:47 AM
The real white Man doesn't play games. bois

sketchy
10-15-2011, 03:56 AM
Stupid fucking humans. Face your end.

sketchy
10-15-2011, 04:00 AM
herzucktzid enturaphen riophedkc zeirutado fozchreramarri huphztedarrckrazetch gijckedo. ein judentovackarrem tojndeznuutii arkkentaneanaugcktzed. fuck zee bras

Torreno
10-31-2011, 02:37 AM
Willow Smith hands down

PaOLO1307
10-31-2011, 03:02 AM
Justin is the freshest and cleanest even when he's tearing N***As apart yep! I heard he's a step master, walks faster and dances sillier. Than those fools in step up 1,2,3.He's a cracker without a piece of cheese for his whack shit, shit, please? Say something to prove your words be thayt steep.. Truth is proven when facts are shown, say chease is ready for a picture, so, look into the hole, say cheese, and die

Torreno
10-31-2011, 03:18 AM
Have you seen his youtube channel when he was 13 with short hair...he does have talent.

I think the fact that alot of people hate him,is the fact that they are jealous of him. I mean he accomplish more than alot of people. His netwoth is 76 million, cmon he is a teenager,call him pussywhiped, but we are all pussywhipped at that age. He is going out with an above average girl, imagine how much pussy he is going to get when he breaks up with her?I dont like the guy, nor do i hate him, i actually dont care about him, this is the first time i write about him.

KingChris
10-31-2011, 03:39 AM
Best Rapper Alive to me at the time is my nigga HD the Goer Barefaced

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9G32n-lSHFs&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u4Bw31C635E&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWH5ph3ZAyQ&feature=related

killa16
10-31-2011, 05:29 AM
i gotta list in it gose top 9 me,drake,lil wayne,eminem,T.I,eazy-E,NWA,8 ball mjg,outkast,ace hood